1. My beautiful sweet little girl Ida. It has been an intense, colic filled three months. I don’t even have the words for it really and to be honest I don’t wish to dwell in the past as I am completely ready to move on. Those of you who have been through it know EXACTLY what I am talking about. I know because some of you have written me. The best advice I received is, “there is no advice, you will figure out what works best for your baby”. We tried absolutely everything, and it changed on a daily basis. What saved me? The sling, the rocking chair I bought in desperation one day, the swing, my husband forcing me to go sit in the woods for an hour when I hit rock bottom, three hour sleep chunks, staying in the present moment.
2. My little girl’s huge smiles and constant cooing. Behind the colic was one happy baby!!! She is so adorable it should be illegal.
(I apologize to readers that I do not post photos of my babes online as I wish to protect the space and privacy of my family. It has become more pertinent as my work has gained popularity in the last few years. More importantly I believe we do not yet understand the repercussions of making our children’s early years public. I wonder how it would feel later in life to have so much of my world exposed? It is sometimes a hard choice for me because I so enjoy reading about and seeing photos of other families and people I care about in the online world. But I feel I need to err on the side of caution with this one. I want my children’s early years to be their own. I may write more about this at some point. Bag of worms, now open.)
3. Gypsy soup for dinner. We are celebrating the three month mark!
4. Gifts in the mail from far away places.
6. Wallace Stegner.
7. Danny Gregory’s new movie, which makes me want to run to my journal and watercolors!
8. River Cottage. I could watch it over and over. (oh yeah, I already do.) Hugh is a household name in our house, as in, “That’s just what Hugh would do!”
9. My family. We are still learning to be four, and there are many bumps along the way. But we are deeply happy even in the midst of the chaos.
10. Malabrigo Gruesa. I can’t get enough of it and must do something to curb my addiction.