this is a view from our deck.
this is first day I actually feel normal again. more like myself. the new world around me does not seem so foreign and strange. i see glimpses of what it might be like to actually settle in. it was very challenging to plan for such a huge change for so long only to arrive and feel like someone hit you over the head with a truck. I searched in vain for deep breaths, my center was nowhere to be seen.
I have found them again. in little bits and pieces scattered here and there.
I think a list is in order.
things that are great about the west coast, noticed by me in the first week here:
1. the ocean air. I have had several very deep sleeps (the first I have had since I gave birth to my son over two years ago.) vivid dreams too.
2. my skin! it feels so incredible, not dry like usual. soft and moist.
3. the produce. I had an apricot that was to die for yesterday. great corn for dinner tonight.
4. everyone is so fit here, it seeps into your consciousness and makes you want to get out and move your body.
5. the flowers. my god the gardens bring tears to your eyes! I have stopped to smell so many flowers it’s amazing really.
6. the naam. my new favorite restaurant.
7. the totems. spent a morning at the museum of anthropology. highlights were the totems, the drums, and watching my son listen to headphones.
8. seeing the ocean every day.
9. foraging in the tide pools.
10. being invited to a party on our street with several other two year olds in attendance!